So, I was Googling myself this morning – another thing to do while job-hunting, so you can see what prospective employers are learning about you – and something to do that feels like you’re working but isn’t really. You know, for those sluggish moments.
Well, Self-Googling (if not a term, it should be) always has struck me as a kind of surreal exercise – like peering into all of the alternate universes that could have been your life.
For instance, there’s the Amy Marshall Dance Company. I actually did spend most of my childhood dancing – so it’s always funny to think that that maybe could have really been me.
I try not to let the success of all the other Amy Marshalls out there get me down.
Today I saw a new Amy Marshall, and this just delights and flabbergasts me: her job title? Chief Reality Officer.
Taking a look at her bio, she’s a hot-shot marketing exec, but I’m wondering if I can steal and reinvent the position.
As Chief Reality Officer, I could really shake things up, on all sorts of levels!
- I could tell politicians to Get Real about healthcare.
- I could sanction magazines for publishing very un-real versions of real stars on their covers.
- I could encourage policy makers to embrace the reality of climate change.
- I could ticket superficial snots for their facades and lack of true decency.
- And I could embark on a global campaign to get everyone dipping more into real reality with their relationships and communities instead of being so latched to virtual reality of the computer and television screens.
As Chief Reality Officer, I could really – really! – make a difference!
And that’s an alternate universe I’d love to see coming up on Google someday…